.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, 19 August 2010

Change in the air

Today Husband and I went to our local lake/park. We packed some sandwiches, grabbed some naughty cakes from the shop on the way and made our way.
We found a lovely spot, ate our food, chatted about the obvious and laid down on the blanket & chilled for a while. It's been a while since we've done this and I think it may be the last we get to do it for a while. Aside from the obvious reason, it's getting that time of year when I just know that summer is over.

Now, us Brits are renound for complaining. It's what we do best besides queueing, drinking tea and eating Marmite.
Every year millions of us will complain in May that it's just too bloody hot and that in July it's too bloody wet or it's too cold. We also don't like it sticky. Being an island that can get rather humid it'll be the only topic of conversation when queueing in the Post Office for your car tax renewal. "Oooh it's sticky today Beryl". "Oh it's dreadful Burt, I've been out the house 5 minutes and I need to change my clothes".

So today, whilst we sat scoffing our Apple turnovers we discussed that August has been a bit of a dud month weatherwise.
I don't think we've seen a cloudless day thus far this month. We've had more than our fair share of rain (not that my plants are complaining) and the temp has rarely gotten above 23 dc. All I hear on the forecast each day is "Chance of showers".

Back in the day when I were a whipper snapper August was always scorching. It was a month for spending all hours out of the house. Up and out by 8am and home for tea at 6pm then back out with friends til it got dark chatting about the impending retirn to school and who we fancied. Today, it felt almost Autumn like whilst we sat in the park. The sun seems lower, the air a lot clearer and even the nights just don't seem to stay as light as they did all those years ago.
We even noticed a few trees changing to that greenish mustardy colour whilst walking in the park (to burn off the gazillion calories from lunch).

Where have our summers gone?

On the topic of walking.. I managed a good mile and a half today. Sure I had to stop a few times given the ligament pain but I managed it. Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight for it, or have a baby. Preferably the latter obviously!

No comments:

Post a Comment