.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, 17 August 2010

40 wk Midwife appt

Today I dragged my sorry arse down to the health centre with the intention of not leaving until they agreed to do a sweep.
20 minutes later I left the building in tears and I'm no closer to having that sweep.

The basics:

BP - 110/72. This has gone down and is lowest since 30 weeks
FHB - Good and strong. Should be given he's about toddler size
FH - 43cm
Urine - High trace of white cells indicating infection. I am to give another sample tomorrow to be sent off (and no dount wait 3 weeks for a result)

Now for the bad bit...

When I went to the hospital last week I was told they would not do a sweep until I hit 40+10 as per health trust policy. I asked today about having one done by the midwife and got the same answer.
Unless there is proof that a medical condition on the mothers' part is hindering the pregnancy then it shall not be done.
Now, I have had sore hips for weeks and at each appt I tell them this. That I am only sleeping around 4 hours a night due to the pain and I have to make up for it by kipping on the sofa during the day which in turn screws up my sleeping pattern. (I know this is nothing to how shit my sleeping pattern will be shortly but that's not the point).
So, she refused and couldn't give me a plausible reason as to why she or anyone else had failed to write in my notes about my hip pain, let alone refer me to the physio. Had she of done this I might be looking forward to a sweep this week.

Tears don't work with this woman. It's like she missed class the day they taught empathy at midwifery school. She doesn't seem to have an ounce of sensitivity in her whatsoever.
Husband stepped in and vouched for me explaining how it's affecting me, to no avail.

I am to wait until I am 40 + 10 until they do a sweep and then they will induce at 40 + 12. It's the policy for my local shitty health trust. My best friend N got a sweep at 39 + 5 as offered... OFFERED by her midwife, but you see she lives 150 miles away and is under a different health trust.
So much for a NATIONAL Heath Service. It sucks.

So it was so that I came out of the appt on the brink of breaking down and when she told me to "cheer up" as I got up to leave that was the last straw. I simply turned to her and said "Easier said than bloody done don't you think?" and with that we left the building.

There really is nothing I can do now excpet wait to see if Yokie decides to come sooner rather than later. I have excrutiating pains shooting through my lady business on a regular basis, the BH are as strong as ever (last night every 7 mins and lasting 50 sec) and I have that horrid heavy pressure sensation but he seems hellbent of sticking in there. I don't mean to sound pessimistic here (or do I?) but I feel confident I'll be sitting at my 41 wk appt next Monday booking in that sweep and confident that come Sunday 29th Aug I'll be induced. Leaving husband with only 7 days with me and the baby (if the induction works that is)

Another thing to mention is that they still believe him to be big, however I've not been scanned since 34 weeks. Midwife says this is still not a justification for a sweep. Husband has said if I have to be induced and I can't deliver naturally due to his size then he'll look to be taking action. Where that'll get him I've no idea.

Today we went for a long walk in the woods, I had a Jalfrezi for dinner and I might try and pounce on the Husband later. Short of that I'm stumped... and miserable.

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaugh. How frustrating. But you have to admit a certain amount of irony in the equally passionate desire to get a baby in there and now to get that same baby out.

    I hope the walking, dinner and so on does the trick!

    ReplyDelete