
Today I cried like a baby. No, let me re-phrase... I sobbed.
Here's what happened:
I went to work today as per the norm and reminded my boss that at 12pm I was nipping out for a couple of hours to attend the burial of Husbands' grans ashes. This was communicated to him on Thursday morning so he'd had notice. He told me that he was leaving after break for a day and half holiday leave and that I should let my ops manager (his boss) before I go. Fine I thought and left it at that and went off to work.
12pm came and I sorted out the shift with my counterpart (there are 2 of us that are in charge) and she told me to hurry up and be off as I'd be late.
I walked out of the factory and saw my ops manager who tells me the following. "A*** has told me you can't go". Well that was it and I began to rant about the fact that not once had my boss told me I couldn't leave. He went on to say that it was my boss's decision and that he wasn't getting involved.. nevermind the fact that as my immediate boss was no longer on site (or on this planet.. more on that soon) he was my boss today but was unwilling to make a decision. We were quiet today, very quiet. So quiet that I told him the dept would be done by 3pm (instead of the scheduled 6pm completion time) and that we were ahead of schedule with no issues to report. I also pointed out that my colleague was in total control and was eager for me to go. This was still not enough so he gave me my boss's mobile number which I immediately rang - husband was waiting for me in the car park at this point itching to go.
The boss said that he thought he'd told me I couldn't leave and that it was obviously unprofessional of him if it came across that I thought I could. I told him he was being really unreasonable.. I wanted to support husband (and the rest of the family) and show my respects for his gran. I was then told "Well it's not like it's your family is it? it's your partners"
That was the straw that broke the camels back. I started to get upset and practically scolded him for suggesting this. I mean really.. I am Married, M is not my 'partner' as he so put it and I'm sorry but after 9 years together, his family is my family and they mean just as much to me.
Still, he wouldn't budge and told me if I chose to leave site it was up to me.. which is cryptic for "leave and recieve your P45 a few days later".
I told him husband would be devastated that I wasn't able to go but it fell on deaf ears as I know damn well he was high. He's known for it. I've been to his house as I'm friends with his fiance and each time he's been high as a flaming kite.
I hung up in the end and called the ops manager who had ZERO empathy. He didn't give a flying toss and when I told him I'd have to go to the car park and explain to husband who was in the car waiting he replied that it was not his problem. I abruptly hung up.
This is a man who was in charge of the whole site today (about 400 people) and apart from this conversation (if you can call it that) Neither I or my colleague heard a peep from him. Our support was shit.
So... off I toodled to see husband and of course as soon as I saw the car I started to sob.. and I mean really sob. After shouting like a loon and f'ing and blinding about the idiots that are my superiors, I told husband to go as he'd be late and I made my way back into the factory where I phoned my colleague and told her to meet me in the smoking area where I then enjoyed half a cigarette (I'm not a smoker - I was just that upset)
She was livid that I wasn't allowed to leave and was insulted that it meant they thought she'd be unable to cope with the shift.
Husband is spitting feathers and he had the task of telling the family I couldn't make it. He has told me to file a formal complaint which I will do on Monday (Human Resources do not work weekends.. conveniently) so It will be interesting to see how this pans out. My life will no doubt be made quite difficult if I go through with it. My boss seems to be teflon coated though and it's tru what they say.. 'If your face fits'. He can get away with EVERYTHING.
He left mid shift last week to go home and meet his dad who had driven down to have his waist measured for a kilt for the upcoming wedding.. this was a work day and he just disappeared in the thick of it and only told me when I couldn't find him and I caught him walking back in the building.
This is a man who was given the grace of a 2 hour 'lie in' from the ops manager during a party when I was off a few weeks ago. He'd been out the night before to a leaving do of one of the big wigs in the company and rolled in at 9am hungover to what was recalled as the worst day of the working year so far. It was so busy but he was allowed to trapse in hours late.. Like I say, If your face fits.
I'm still so angry about it 8 hours on.
If you got to the bottom without turning off/nodding off then I applaude you, and thanks for listening to my rant! Nothing else is worth writing about, with the excpetion that husband told me the service went well and that the sun came out just as they buried the ashes.. that was nice to hear.

All I can say is: WOW! What horrible people to work with!!
ReplyDeleteI would be so upset too. Big hugs, darling!
I'm so sorry. It's so terribly sad that they have so little compassion.
ReplyDeleteBabe you really need to get out of there ....that place just sounds so awful!!
ReplyDeleteTake it all the way, then find something else !. xx
How HORRIBLE!!! I sincerely hope you filed a complaint against him today!!
ReplyDeleteIt still amazes me that the "powers that be" that run/manage these companies/business' today, don't realize that if they treat their staff with compassion and show some empathy that their staff will be happier there by be more productive at work. Maybe one day they will realize. I am so sorry that this has happed to you! ** Hugs **
I am so sorry that you work with such horrible people. I can't believe that they do not consider your husband's family your own. I would deinitely be crying and sobbing like a baby as well.
ReplyDelete