Husband and I went to our new surgery today for the first time since moving here a few months ago. I'd been told by friends and work colleagues that the doctor I've been allocated to is great and the best in the surgery.
So after waiting for 30 mins beyond our slot (for which husband had to leave work to attend) we got called in way late and I had to go over the basic events of the last 2 years.
she took my vitals and told us the following:
This is the big I told you so:
- Obesity is a common cause of miscarriage (As if I didn't already feel that the miscarriage was my fault, I now have this new pang of guilt) She might of well as hung a sign above my noggin telling me I could put Marjorie Dawes to shame
- I have to lose at least 10% of my body weight if I want a chance at conceiving again (apparently swimming twice a week, biking 4 miles 4 days a week and exceeding the recommended 10,000 steps a day isn't enough - I have to do more)
- We cannot expect medical intervention before 12 months of TTC after my miscarriage.
- My blood pressure is good (I'm surprised at that)
Husband was given his pot so at some point he'll be supplying his sample fo rthe good folk at the hospital to poke and prod.
Something she asked us toward the end of our appt astounded me. "Do we know about the peak times to have sex in order to improve the chance of conceiving?".. Ugh, hello? I'm as obsessed as obsessed can be. Does she really think that after 2 years of trying to have a child of our own I'd not know how to calculate my fertile dates?
So we wait while she contacts my old surgery to get the full details of previous tests and doe husbands test results.
In the mean time I have started the first round of my slimming pills. Normally I'd stay away from this kinda thing but needs must people and I'm desperate. If losing 10% of my body weight could increase our chances of conceiving then I'd do anything legally possible (or not!)
Oh, and she brought up the 3 letters I didn't want to hear. IVF. Now, I'm not stupid, I know that should we not be able to conceive naturally we'll be seriously considering going down another route but if I don't deserve medical intervention yet, why raise the subject? Good job she did my blood pressure before she asked.

Hey babe..
ReplyDeleteIm sorry !!
I think ur doing brill with all your exercising. Keep it up.
Im sorry she mentioned the ivf word..it took my breath away too and now im living it !! fuk !!
xx xx xx
It sounds like you are doing everything you can to be healthy. I mean you are excercising way more than I am - maybe you will motivate me to do more :)
ReplyDeleteMy doctor also mentioned that he likes to wait a full year after miscarriages/ruptured ectopics to start getting more aggresive, but I told him that was unacceptable for me - so we compromised.
Ugh, I hate that some doctors think that we (those who really want a baby and have done enough research to put the doctor to shame) don't know when our fertile time is. I mean, COME ON!!!
I hope that everything all works out.
Tina
That's really crappy. Sometimes I feel like doctors are trained in all of the technical aspects of their jobs but are horribly lacking in basic people-skills. She clearly sounds like someone who has never struggled with her weight (or with infertility, for that matter.) I agree with Tina that maybe you need to push her a little bit on the year thing if you feel like it's too long. You know what's best for you.
ReplyDelete