.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, 1 October 2010

Weigh in



Today was blood test & weigh in day. Bloods for me to check my Iron levels have reached a satidfactory level. Weigh in for Oliver.

Oliver and I ventured out into the Autumnal weather this morning. Me resembling someone suitable for whaling. It looks like we might have a season that has arrived on time.
Our preperations for our venture were somewhat challenging. I got him dressed and fed by 09:00 and as my blood test was at 10:15 it meant I had time to dress, attempt a go with the mascara & walk at a leisurely pace. Oliver it seems had a different ideas and whilst chilling post feed, decided to fill his nappy, his sleepsuit and cover me and my dressing gown in his poo.
After undressing him and giving him and washdown, he decided to top it all off by peeing all over himself and his mat. How it got into his hair I'll never know but we then had to take a bath. Now, I've been lectured about bathing babies and ensuring there is an hour gap before leaving the house, so please don't rat on me when I confess that it was 30 mins post bath that I dragged him into the rain. He was well wrapped (and somewhat warm byt the time we reached the health centre) so I can rest easy that I shouldn't expect social services to bang on my door anytime soon.

So, we power walked to the health centre. It's a good mile and we managed it inside 15 minutes. I was a few minutes late booking in for my bloods but it didn't matter as there was a 20 minute delay (some idiot from S.ainsbury across the road had sliced their finger and was being assessed - possibly mentally).
Once we got called my bloods took a while. I am renound for being stingy with my blood. I love my blood so much that I am often scared to drink post test incase it spouts from all the holes they create.
The nurse coo'd over Oliver and was very pleased when upon asking how I'm feeding him, I answered I'm exclusivley expressing. Not many women can do this she said. Some give up as it's too tough, some simply don't have the patience, some just think it's a waste of good socialising time. I agree with all 3 but I'm persevering and it's going well... more on that another time.

Bloods done and 4 plasters later we went 3 doors down the corridor to the HV clinic where Oliver was weighed. He has gained 1 full lb in 2 weeks. He is now 10lb 4oz. HV is most pleased (I was a little concerned he'd not gained much.. just a feeling) and she has marked him as being on the 50th centile. Bang on the nose. I'm happy of course as it means what I'm giving him is sufficient.
I'm to carry on the 4oz feeds every 4 hours as per his routine. He never guzzles his milk and seems content with each fill.

On the way home I nipped into S.ainsburys and picked up some essentials and also found some sleepsuits for him. They have integrated scratch mits which, with his nails are a godsend. Someone please tell me how to trim an infants fingernails. They are too short for the clippers and filing doesn't work!

All in all he is doing well. His smiles brighten up my day and my heart melts each time. He's becoming more focused on me and Husband. He watches me walk away when I hand him to Husband in the evenings. (I feed him at 6pm and Husband arrives home just in time for cuddles and then he puts him down).
I caught him looking at his rattle this morning. He can't grab item yet but it'll happen soon I'm sure.

One thing's for certain. He does NOT like his cot. Hates it. I put him in there this afternoon for his nap and he screamed bloody murder. I put a sheet over the front to take away the 'open' feeling but he's not daft. It was a big fat fail so we came downstairs, had a cuddle and he went into his carrycot which has been the norm. He is outgrowing his moses basket. He has maybe 3 inches of room left lengthways so the cot will be in use soon. I just hope he's so tired at night that he can't be bothered to fuss about it.

The colic is easing. He has his moments but it's easing. We invested in Dr Browns' anti colic bottles. At £20 for 4 I expect them to sing and dance too but it's a price I'll pay if it means Oliver is in less discomfort. The In.facol has gone out the window. I am in love with Gripe Water (although no taste - my god it's foul).

On a more pleasing note, I am back in my pre pregnancy clothes. I actually brought 2 tops yesterday in a small size. What a confidence booster. Weight wise I am 2lb shy of my pre pregnancy weight. I'm happy with that! Still, I declared that I would shift a load post birth and with this in mind I've decided my goal is to lose 10kg. Sounds a lot I know but when I currently weigh in at a hefty 95kg? not so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment