.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, 14 October 2010

Rod for my own back?


For the last 3 evenings I've spent 45 minutes with Oliver on my left boob. Does it look like he's bothered?!

It all started on Tuesday when he simply would not settle. It was at the usual time. Bang on cue at 3pm after his grub he started the colic cry. I sometimes wonder if he's doing it on purpose but then I see his little face turn beetroot red and know that even the most sadistic of us couldn't self inflict that sort of pain/cry.
I managed to settle him enough that he was awake but whinging but then just before 6pm he started again. He was due a feed at 7pm so I took a gamble and put him on the boob and within milliseconds he was as quiet as a mouse and all I and Husband could hear was the gently sound of suckling. He fed well and went to bed like a good boy at 8pm.

FLUKE! I thought.

Alas, it is 2 days later and his tea time meal is still my left breast. Granted he's probably not getting the 4oz he has via expressed milk but I'll take what I can get folks. Tonight he fed well and went down straight away. Whilst I'm so happy that he has breastfed without munching my nipple here's the thing.
Have I created a rod for my own back here?

  • Will he get the dreaded 'nipple confusion'?
  • Will he demand the boob more as time passes?
  • Will this new feeding method throw his routine off track?
I fear that the answer is 'yes' to all of the above.
For the record, his routine is still 4 hourly feeds of 4oz. Tuesday he weighed in at 11lb 1oz. At 7 weeks that puts him 3oz shy of a 3lb gain since birth. He is averaging an once a day. Fatty! The HV is not fussed about that and therefore the following:

He has started missing his middle of the night feed. He normally feeds at 2 am and for the last 5 nights, he's woken up but not cried or stirred enough for me to get up and warm a bottle. I give him his dummy (another rod maybe?) and after a few minutes he goes back to sleep. This would be wonderful if it weren't for 2 factors:
  1. He grunts - A LOT. Kicks - A LOT. Puts his foot through his gro-bag flap - A LOT.
  2. I have to get up and express. However saying that I've gone through for the last 3 nights resulting in a8hr gap and the only downside is I'm a bit tender/full. There's a concern my supply might be affected but this morning I got 8.5 oz combined which was another 2 bags for the freezer as I've got 2 days worth in the fridge due to him dropping a feed.
I'm chuffed he's staying in his basket all night (generally 10pm - 6am) but if only I could actually sleep a but more I'd be happier.
Speaking of the basket, he's rapidly outgrowing it. We put him feet to foot every night but he only has say, e inches left of leg room and plus he's got this habit of squirming to the top end and squishing his face against the side nearest me. He's not bothered at all and sleeps well. How long it'll be before we have to put him in his cot I'm not sure but I highly doubt it'll be the 6 month recommended time! Husband has suggested 8 weeks, but I'm uneasy. I worry about the obvious SIDS risk. I might negotiate 12 weeks and see how we get on.

Oh, and he's found his right hand. No idea how as the wrist rattle brought him went on his left! but he can often be seen trying to stick it down his throat. Some say it's a sign of hunger but he does it at all times of day. Deep down I'd prefer for him to find his thumb. At least then he can self pacify himself without me having to reach over every minute put his dummy back in (another reason for no sleep).

1 comment:

  1. He is ridiculously cute. Whatever boob you are using it is clearly doing wonders for him.

    ReplyDelete