.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Contra... what?

Contreception. A word that I've not used for a long long time. I've not thought about contraception for a long long time. over 5 years in fact.
I had my 8 week postnatal appt yesterday. I was given the all clear and we discussed a few things. We discussed how I'm feeding, she was very hapy when I explained I'm expressing (almost) 100%. I have carried on feeding him from the breast at tea time as this settles him more. The colic has eased again but now I've written those words, it'll no doubt come back to bite me in the arse.
I now have to decide which form of contraception to use. Yikes!

After a lengthy conversation with husband and the doctor, I decided I'd go for the implant. The injection sounded ok but the cons outweigh the pros. Plus once you've had it, without top ups it'll stay in the system for up to a year - The DR advised this is not a form of contraception to use if we plan on trying for another baby in the next few years.
So, implant it is. I go in next week to have it inserted in my arm. I find it amazing that a 4cm price of plastic under the skin on my upper arm can prevent me falling pregnant. What a wonder the modern medicine world has become!

Oliver also had his first set of jabs yesterday. Stage one of immunisation complete.

He was so brave, although he was cranky all day leading up to the appointment so maybe he had a clue he was in for something unpleasent but I think his daddy took it harder! I held him whilst Husband tried to distract him but he had to walk away. However he was also very brave as he is petrified of needles. I'll admit they don't phase me and I will often watch any medical professional dig around my stingy arms for a vein.
He had a rather unsettle night so I'm rather groggy this morning but it was all worth it. Next stage is in 4 weeks time.

1 comment:

  1. I got hit with that question at least 7 times (I think that's how many doctors, interns, & residents came in to "check" on me) the day after Little One was born. Given the trouble we had, I'm not exactly thinking it's going to be necessary...but it's condoms for us as we realized that hormonal birth control does bad things to my personality during the rounds of pre-cycle BCP's.

    Glad Oliver and family handled the shots well. I can't believe he's 8 weeks already!

    ReplyDelete