.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, 24 October 2010

The Family Way

My sister who is 9 years younger than myself phoned me on Friday. Now this might not seem like it's worth blogging about but my sister NEVER rings me. I get the odd text now and again and we exchange comments on F.acebook (normally about Oliver) but she's not one for calling for chats (gets that from our mother sadly, who I've not heard rom for about a month.)
Anyway, we chatted for a few moments and got the obligatory "hows things?" out of the way and then she dropped it on me.

She's pregnant.

I was, admittedly rather speechless and didn't know how to react. You see my sister is 2 months shy of turning 21 but has the attitude and aspect of life of a 15 year old. Stroppy, ignorant to the important things etc. She has also only recently moved into a small 1 bedroom flat with her boyfriend of 3 years.
She says it was an accident for they were using condoms. I believe her, no reason not to but it doesn't make it any easier to digest.
I am worried. How on can they afford a child when she only works part time (her choice) and with such a small flat. I have found out all too well the financial struggles of having a baby.

She has asked me to be with her when she announces the news to the folks. I'm going to do it as she's my sister & needs my support (I am the only one who knows of the pregnancy) but I am also very worried of the reaction she'll receive.
Mum has always baby'd my sister as she is the youngest and the child she has with my stepfather. I've always blamed my mum for the way my sister has turned out as she has mollycoddled her all her life, even offering to pick my sister up from her home and take her to work up until a few weeks ago. My sister is also to blame a little for never refusing. Mum has always denied my sister is spoilt but the rest of the family know different.
My stepfather has always been the opposite. Encouraging my sister to do all the things in life we should do like get a decent job, attempt to use public transport once in a while, be more independent etc. He has often referred to me as the 'motivated one' in the family as when I was the age my sister is now I was travelling the length and bredth of the UK for my job. Trains were my choice of travel mode and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was staying in various hotels on my own for weeks at a time. I remember catching the 4 hour train ride to see my father on my own at the age of 15 - My younger sister won't even catch a bus for the 10 mins ride to work.

Anyway, the reactions from the folks are where it looks to turn ooogly. My folks are on the brink of divorce and I can see the following happening:

  • Mum gets upset and blames herself
  • She then blames my stepfather because it's convenient to do so and they start fighting
  • Stepfather gets angry and ignores my sister for a long while
  • Mum takes over and declares she knows best
  • Sister has to endure a lot of agro and grief from the family including my step siblings and I live 150 miles away so I can't be there for her in person should it ever hit the fan
  • Sister in law puts her 2 pence worth in and makes things a whole lot worse
Husband and I had planned to visit the folks/family on the 31st Oct anyway so this is the day my sister and I sit the folks down to announce her news but I just know it'll ruin the day. It's not a bad thing that she is pregnant - it's wonderful but it's the reactions and the fallout that will make it hard. My brother will be seeing Oliver for the first time and we're having a slight family get together. Then at tea time we drive home and I will worry more about what happens next.
Maybe I'm over reacting and my family will prove me wrong but I'm doubtful. I've thought about telling her to wait until she's had her 12 week scan but I don't know.

However at the end of the day my sister is going to be a mum & I'm going to be an aunt for the 3rd time and this makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment