I'm not being a good blogger. I moved over to this blog with the intention of keeping up but other things have become more the priority and it's been forgotten.
I returned to work on Saturday for one day as I'd taken the first few as lieu. Now, the night before I'd visited a friend to swipe a futon from her. She's recently split from her husband and is in the process of shedding furniture so I grabbed the opportunity to fill my house with more crap. Actually we've needed something like this for ages, it's just everything is more important than a spare bed that no one will ever sleep in.
Saying that, as it turns out we're in dire need of a spare bed because we now have 3 visitors that require a place to slumber before the year is out. Said friend is over on the eve we return from our Dublin 'expedition' (slang for pissy weekend away), the outlaws are here for Christmas (we're hosting the holiday season for the first time since moving in together 6 years ago) and my aunt who resides in Scotland where we stay is returning to the south for the festivities with her children and wants to stop in on us on the way home along with my uncle to break up the journey.
I'm looking forward to having folk stay over.. if I can just get that blasted futon over here.
So.. we arrived at the friends' on Friday night and realised with a great sigh that she hadn't taken it apart. It was all screwed together still and husband had not taken his tools. Still, it was nice to get over there to see her so we spent a couple of hours catching up over copius cuppas.
Conversations about our holiday, our impending trip to the Emerald Isle and what not led to work chatter. We both work for the same company but on different locations and she had heard about news coming from our neck of the woods and wanted to know if it were true. Here's the dilio:
Our site is letting go of 50 employees (roughly 5%) by the end of this year due to financial losses... oh and Merry Christmas!
I returned to work on Saturday to find my boss had taken a lost minute day off (to visit the job centre?) so I grabbed the big chief on site and asked him the news. He confirmed the above but was happy to tell me that my job is safe. Nice one mate, thanks.
However.. the dept in which husband is based is directly affected. Out of the 50 in the firing line, 6 of thiese will come from his dept. Is he worried? I should coco. Am I worried? Yes but I also know that should he lose his job, we can cope (just) until his skills get him another job. He has been told unofficially by his boss that she wants to keep him on board and so does her boss so he's obviously doing something right. That and the fact that he's the lowest paid in his dept so it's saving them a mint if they keep him.
So we wait. He's had a meeting with a big chief and finds out no later than the first week of December. He's not in the best of moods obviously. I can't say much as I feel like I'm rubbing it in that my job is safe.
In more subdued news, I have recently caught up with another lovely blogger to read that her beloved dog had been poorly and put to sleep. Please pop over and give her support. You don't have to be a dog lover but know that there is a lot of sadness in their household.
I dedicate this post to Tetley.
Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...
Wednesday, 18 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment