Sunday, 6 May 2012
Onwards and Upwards
Apparently, April is the month for showers. A little rain never did anyone any harm but let me say that April in the South of England has been a complete washout.
Those in the know declared us a drought area in March and if anyone was caught using excessive water come Summertime, they would be strung up by their entrails.. or similar such punishment.
Now, my garden is practically ready to gather the pairs of animals and sail away to dryer pastures.
In other news, The Husband and I have decided that we need to change a few things. We ave decided that we are ready to attempt TTC a sibling for Oliver. The boy is rapidly approaching 2 and we are feeling ready. I confess I struggled to understand how I would reach this point. The whole "How can I love another baby as much I love Oliver" argument spun around in my head for a long time but recently, we have discovered that we know we can do the above and that we want to be a family of 4 not 3.
In order for this to happen we have decided to move house. This house is simply not big enough for another child. When advertised, it should read 2.5 bedrooms, not 3.
We have been successful in our quest and this coming Weds we collect the keys to our new abode. Exciting times.
The new digs are bigger. Victorian semi detached house with 3 large bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a 80ft garden. It is a home typical of the era. It is beautiful and whilst it is in a busier area of town, it is perfect for us. Better still, a good friend whom I met through Breastfeeding group lives 2 doors away. It also happens to be a 5 minute walk from the coffee shop.
So, the next few weeks shall be somewhat manic. I want to make the transition as easy as possible for Oliver. I'm happy to go in all guns blazing and get done but we need to face the fact that Oliver will be somewhat in the way. I have planned for him to attend Nursery next week and go to a friends also which will help Husband and I get time to pack with no distractons.
Oh, and the W.eight Watchers plan is going well. 29lbs lost thus far. Thats is 1lb over 2 stone so I know it is a lot of weight. I certainly feel much better for it but here's the deal, I have 3 stone more to lose to reach my goal. Not sure if it is a realistic goal to be honest but I aim to shift as much of this fat as possible and see where I plateau long term. My BMI will be 26 if I reach goal. That will please the Doctor.
As for Oliver, he is a star. He is still petite compared to others he socialises with but mentally he is steaming ahead. He can sign a few words to save his frustration. His eating has improved vastly, just this evening he wolfed down a Thai Green curry followed by steam spong pudding.
The biggest news is that he is in a big boy bed. Eeeeeeeeeeek!
W made the transition last weekend after the Health Visitor suggested it The Night Terrors he's been having could be triggered or helped by the fact he was couped in a cot with bars surrounding him. We have had sucess with sleeping all night. He can also get up and play in the mornings which means Husband and I can relax for a whle before getting up to him. The only downside is getting him to sleep in the evenings. It's a 2 hour task. He will be up down up down for the duration and finally gives in around 9pm. He is placid the whole time but I'd rather he be sleeping at 8pm than playing trains with Bob the Bear. Any tips?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Congratulations on the new house and on all of Oliver's achievements! You didn't specify if you're going in to his room every time he gets up or not, but my advice would be that everything new begins as VERY exciting and slowly loses its excitement. If he's staying up to play quietly by himself and it's not affecting his mood the next day, just let him do it. If he's involving you, that's a different story. You need to make it as BORING as possible. Be consistent in putting him back in bed if he's leaving his room, and don't talk to him at all. Just put him back every time he leaves. Eventually (it may take several days) he should get tired of it.
ReplyDeleteYay for a new sibling & new house & success on WW!!! I am so happy for you!!!
ReplyDeleteE had night terrors. Wake Olive up about 45 mins after you know he is asleep. Night terrors happen when they get stuck between stages of sleep. It happens when they are overtired or miss their nap.
When E moved into her big girl bed we also moved her Fisher Price Aquarium and attached it to her side rails. If she did get out of bed we just kept putting her back in and telling her it was time to sleep. It wasn't too bad from what I remember. Good luck!
Sounds like you have had a lot going on!!! Your little man is just adorable!! I hope that he has started going down easier at night. I ended up laying down with DD each night. Well, actually I still do. I decided it was just easier and in the grand scheme of things it was going a short time out of my life that I would be doing it. It's not an every night thing, but I do it quite a bit. Okay, I'll admit - I like doing it :) It gives us some quality time that is quiet and just the two of us. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI stopped by to say Hello and how are you. I hope things are going well.
ReplyDeleteHow are you and Oliver? I thought I would check in and say hello. :-)
ReplyDelete